Friday, September 23, 2011

Today I began my HIV/AIDS course that I am facilitating at the local primary school. There is a book series that caters to elementary school aged children on the subject, but the books are only in Setswana. With the help of the other librarian volunteer, we are translating the material in our discussions and I learn a little HIV/AIDS vocabulary in Setswana along the way. Most of the suggested activities and readings take a longer amount of time that we have allotted with the classes, but I’m catering the material to fit. It was just a nice beginning to start something that I feel addresses a very vulnerable population here. We started by reading the first book, What is HIV/AIDS? I asked them to copy down the 5 or so vocabulary words in the back and write down two things they learned from their reading. In checking a few of their responses I could see that a couple of them had these very scripted answers about how HIV can harm a pregnant woman’s child, but then there was also some alarming comments about spreading HIV by a mere handshake. While I know this is not representative of the entire population of Botswana in misunderstanding the truth about this epidemic, I’m happy to address at least a small pocket community with a very malleable future ahead of them. If nothing else, all I really want to do is open up a forum and comfortable conversation where they can ask questions that they wouldn’t otherwise ask their parents or their siblings so that they can know the truth about HIV in order to better protect themselves and care for others. While ambitious, today, it seems remotely feasible.

Originally, I was disappointed in myself for not being able to teach them this material in their own language, but once these students graduate from primary school, all of their coursework and teachings are in English. At least I can find solace in the fact that this may help prepare them for the future on many fronts.

Being that it’s Friday, I am enjoying an evening cup of coffee that I wouldn’t otherwise indulge in for fear of being kept up all hours of the night, listening to roosters and seemingly unhappy donkeys. The sun rises early, y’all!

While it is a day where I miss coffee shops, city planning, driving, and punctuality (just to name a few)…I find myself sitting amidst the splendor that IS the stock of my care packages…and those things I miss on a daily basis seem to fade for a little while. I’ve found myself ending my day by entering a house that feels more like a home and anticipating the return to interact with the people I’ve come to know here. Granted, not everyday is as such. However, the thoughtful reminders from friends and family at home mixed with a little adventure in settling in a new place and getting acquainted with new people makes for a nice balance between the old and new, the comfortable and the unfamiliar, and the fear and excitement that has become my life here.

No comments:

Post a Comment