Monday, July 25, 2011

while this is a few days olds, a good day seems worth noting

Today has been a surprisingly good day. You know sometimes when you wake up and you think that your day doesn’t exactly feel in sync with the rest of the world and probably won’t go exactly as you’d like it to? Well my day started off as such. I took a “community day” and was really just planning on getting my bike fixed and working on my community report. I just needed a break from the office setting and a reminder of the life and potential for new discoveries in the world around me.


A couple of days ago I had planned to meet the mechanic guy to repair my bike and he wasn’t there when I went at our arranged time (time/appointments are arbitrary). So, I decided to venture around and explore a new region of Moshupa. Actually, I was looking for another primary school that’d I’d seen before but ended up across the village at this major roadway junction…I decided to take a break on the side of the road and eat my pear I had handy in my bag. I alternated between biking and walking because I could feel my pedals getting looser and I had planned on having it fixed by then. Anyway, I stopped by the Technical School on the outskirts of Moshupa where they have classes on Computers, Building, and Textiles. I asked to take a tour of the textiles building imagining old school machines weaving rugs and the like, but alas it was just a room of sewing machines and drafting tables and lame fabric. I was still excited at the sight though. I introduced myself to the administration and told them I would like to help out with something/anything they had going on…what I had in mind, I don’t really know, but access to a sewing machine struck my fancy. I don’t know what kind of contribution I can make to a facility such as the Technical College with already established curriculum and systems of doing things. I am thinking of maybe arranging some type of database or medium to exchange services, where the school can be a resource providing the trained men and women needed for various jobs. Maybe this kind of project is already in existence, maybe it’s already been done and crashed and burned for one reason or another. Who knows at this point?! I could speculate and plan and project for hours, but the execution of any of these early initiatives seems far away.

Since I was just on the go, I decided to visit Rick before he leaves to go back to the States this week. He actually found a mechanic at his school that rides a bike and has all the appropriate tools for bike repairs. He took my bike to his house at lunch break and tightened the bottom bracket. I had hoped to be able to witness the repair in case something else were to happen, but at this point I was grateful for any assistance and someone knowing what they’re doing.
I also had the opportunity to meet one of the art teachers at the school. He showed me around the department and they have a kiln and pottery wheels and oil pastels!!! I told him I studied Art History and he was so excited that I would be able to teach the children about Picasso and be able to tell them where the techniques they were employing in their own work originated. I don’t know how much of that I would feel comfortable doing, but his excitement was beautiful. Apparently every afternoon they have a study period, during which those interested can go to the art room and work on their projects. He suggested that I come join them sometime. Ohhhh this could be good!


Not only am I learning how to get places, but also I’m learning the SHORTCUTS to get to these places. On my back roads way home, I stopped at another primary school I recently discovered. It is a tiny little school with the cutest and most curious kids. I don’t have a really professional or strategic plan for approaching these various schools. I arrive sweaty and winded in casual dress, but I typically just ask to meet anyone in the administration and begin my spiel on being a Peace Corps Volunteer and living in Moshupa for two years and wanting to maybe do some hypothetical after-school program, assuming they would be fully accepting me with open arms. I didn’t realize until today that I probably sound like someone on their high horse galloping into these offices to introduce myself. The deputy head master I met today seemed a bit busy and suggested that I come back tomorrow morning so that I can meet with some other teachers to familiarize myself with the people and the school. Of course, she wouldn’t just shake my hand and say, “why yes, I’ve been waiting to meet a Peace Corps Volunteer to come in a provide an art program for these needy children.” I’m a stranger and it makes sense that I have to get acquainted with a place before I integrate myself there (particularly in a school with children), especially when she has no prior information on me and my purpose here. I forget that I am new here, but I’m grateful that my anxiousness and enthusiasm still abounds even when it puts me in strange situations like this one.
When I finally did meet with some department heads, she mentioned that they have a litter picking program where they ask for donations in the community while they pick up trash in the area. I offered to help with this and then she also was enthusiastic about me helping build their library. Apparently it’s small and has very few books…but again, building up libraries and art programs just warms my heart. So this is more food for thought for future projects!

My favorite spot in all of Moshupa.

Arriving at home I found myself sitting on my porch eating some popcorn, finishing Things Fall Apart, and journaling until the sun set. My neighbors were playing Michael Jackson so loudly and on repeat. That mixed with the intermittent cowbells and dogs barking makes for an interesting array of sounds. While outside I saw my other neighbor, Camera. He shouted to me over the wall from his yard. I hadn’t seen him a week or so and I was genuinely excited to be interrupted from my afternoon routine to feel that fleeting moment of familiarity and neighborly greetings. I went over to say hello and he said something along the lines of “I was hoping you were free so you could walk the cow back over with me.” I wasn’t sure what he was talking about, but apparently one of his cows had escaped from their land and come to “this side.” (This side and that side are equivalent to over here and over there respectively). Two other cows were apparently struck by lightning. I asked if they ate them and he said yes. Is that even safe? Anyway, after my full day of biking and visiting and introducing myself, I wasn’t up for herding cattle, while it did sound like a nice addition to my day’s happenings.

I have baked banana bread for both of my neighbors. One I hadn't even met yet and there are something like 12 people living in that house, but the other one is Camera and crew (haha get it). He has also been collecting saving their ashes from their fires for me to use in my garden.

It also seems relevant to note that I have seen an array of animals today (in addition to the commonplace donkeys, cows, chickens, and goats at every turn). I saw little mice in the ditch along my bike ride. I saw bats flying around my compound at sunset (at which time I went inside). I saw about 10 baby chicks just bobbing around its mother on the side of the road. I was tempted to take one back to my house with me, but all of these animals are owned and accounted for. How they keep track of them, I have no idea. Well, with donkeys they tie the front two legs together so they don’t go far off. It’s a sad sight, but I’m slowly adjusting to the relative notions of appropriate treatment of animals. Oh, and I’m getting a dog at the end of August!!! The government pays for them to be vaccinated, so that will be taken care of and the little grocery store here actually has a small selection of dog food…I will probably have to get puppy food in Gabs though.

1 comment:

  1. Andy is incredibly jealous that you are getting a dog. Now I have to go and console him about the fact that he doesn't have one.

    ReplyDelete