Thursday, April 21, 2011

Hail Storm on a Hot Tin Roof

I’ll begin with last weekend when a group of ventured to the Motse Lodge. This circa 5 km route followed a paved road past the local prison (don’t worry mom, there’s barbed wire galore and apparently it’s totally ok to put these things smack dab in the middle of a neighborhood area) and then onto a more domestic dirt road. This lodge is the stereotypical African hotel that any American would most likely stay at (on the off chance that an American would even travel to Kanye, Botswana) with thatched roof, rounded style lodging. There is also a swimming pool. So on our free Saturday afternoon a group of us seek out the bar for our fix on wine and beer. Being in a community, they advise not to disclose any information on my take on alcohol with my community simply because it is considered taboo by most respectable community members and so…the Motse Lodge is a dissociated and distant enough place to indulge. In addition, we have to answer to our host families and don’t want to run the risk of that kind of reprimand from our “parents.” I’m not complaining about the accountability factor…in fact, it’s probably good for me and it’s nice having someone keeping tabs on you and checking in with you in this unfamiliar place. Well in this long-winded account of my weekend, I really wanted to share with you my walk back. A few other girls and I decided to call it an afternoon and walk back to see where their particular houses were as we are all trying to gain a better understanding of our homestays in relation to one another. The walk was quite nice with an overcast sky, occasional thunder, and distant lightning with the pre-rain breeze. Literally as we are walking into the gates of Britt’s yard it begins raining and the rain turns to hail as we basically invite ourselves into her home for shelter. Within seconds the size of the hail increases and the wind increases and I’m so thankful to have escaped being caught in the storm. Oh, but I forgot to mention that I experienced this hail storm under a TIN ROOF! Oh, there’s video and when I figure out how to post it, I’ll share. Although I doubt it will do the experience any justice.
Karen and I live in the same neighborhood and so we decided to weather the storm through the worst part and then go back to our homes (get the pun: WEATHER the STORM?!) After which we opted to take advantage of the public transit available. We road a comvi! (I think that’s the spelling). It’s basically like a city bus just a little more “rustic.” Also, it is comparable in size, style, and smell to a Volkswagen bus from the 60s. As we are riding along the driver takes the time to offer us his selection of local honey, honeycomb pieces included, that he sells apparently as he drives around. I assume we look like succors for an authentic Botswana treat…little does he know that I’m on a volunteer’s budget! Anyway, along this ride I also witness my first DOUBLE RAINBOW IN THE SKY! I made it home satiated and feeling relatively competent from navigating my way home with the resources and circumstances at hand. These minute accomplishments are huge factors in me finding my place here and getting ahold of my bearings, so it seems relevant to mention them.
Sunday was a good day as well. Typically I have this particular dislike for Sundays because they always entail this unsettled and ominous feeling about the week to come, but somehow that has subsided in Africa. Even despite the fact that we didn’t have any water running from sunrise until about 1 pm, I managed to enjoy my Sunday. I was thirsty and had to postpone my dirty laundry for the majority of the day, thus causing me to not have enough daylight hours for my clothes to dry outside. My clothes stayed wet for another 3 days, but somehow I love Sundays, this one included. It is also the only day of the week that I can totally disconnect from everyone here and have a little me time. Karen also came over and played the ukulele outside while I did house work, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I find so much comfort and complacency in my homestay family and the house here that it really is a treat to spend time with them here and observe and learn about their lifestyle and all.
We went to Gaborone on Monday to do our immigration paperwork, but the workers are on strike for reasons of protesting their wages. We are going to have to make a return visit to get this done, but for now it is postponed indefinitely.

I also wanted to include a little information on things I’ve noted throughout the information sessions we have every afternoon. Maybe they will provide a little insight into the customs and culture here.
In learning about Peace Corps in Botswana, we were shown a video that commented on how the first PC volunteers were notorious for being part of the hippie movement. In interviewing several Batswana, they commented on the unruly hair and the tattered blue jean shorts that they wore. Mind you, Botswana is a country that takes their level of dress seriously and it is a sign of respect both for yourself and for your company to dress appropriately. They were commenting that these Americans were coming in to help with economic development with long hair and unkempt clothing. I just thought it was funny, particularly that during our welcoming ceremony in Kanye, one of the local officials also commented on the hippies. Although he had suggested a fondness for their style and let’s say, charisma. Another high-ranking woman that spoke mentioned how she learned English in grade school from a particular PCV and noted his name and all! He apparently moved to Botswana in the 60s after his service and remained there until he died just a few years ago. What a story, eh!?
Once Botswana was considered to be a in relatively good economic state, Peace Corps left Botswana. A few years later the president of Botswana asked for the Peace Corps to come back to work specifically on the HIV/AIDS epidemic. While PCVs are only working with HIV/AIDS projects, these endeavors take on many connotations because of the widespread effects that HIV/AIDS has on so many facets of life. I am slowly learning my role to fulfill here as a volunteer. To be honest it seems daunting and I often wonder if I am even an adequate individual in regards to my personal knowledge and professional experience etc. to address these issues. Either way, I am excited and willing and that seems sufficient at this point in time.

I am happy to be here. I don’t believe in all that being put in the right place for a reason and having the cosmos aligned or the gods working in my favor…I’m just happy that this whole process has brought me to Botswana and put me with this family in this particular community. I know that this is only the beginning and every day will not be rainbows and honeycombs, but for now, what a great beginning!

the trek to motse lodge! this was clearly a group effort





3 comments:

  1. I sure hope my comments are not being posted duplicate times because my computer keeps kicking me out and it looks like the comment is not there. I miss you so much, but know that God has you there for a purpose and you are going to be an answered prayer to many there. I hope THIS Sunday is especially nice for you as it is your birthday and you need to have a special day! Bubba had his back surgery this past Tuesday and is doing great. We love you and miss you - stay SAFE!

    Love,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh va from la, i'm so glad you're able to post online periodically! i'm so sorry your bed doesn't have 300 toss pillows, but i'm sure you're adjusting. at least you got a green room. i got a bunch of paperwork on hiv/aids stuff at work (cause hiv/aids infection rate in DC meets the criteria for "epidemic" status and lots of our clients are affected) anyway, it's somewhat basic info but it's amazing how much i've been learning. i always think of you when it comes up in my work these days. lylas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohhhh girl i have that same exact blanket! but your place looks much more chique than mine lol!

    ReplyDelete